Relationship Glue Recipe Read Between the Lines

We've been married 26 years, only to each other, kids only together. A lot of people seem to think that's unusual. They ask our secret for longevity. I always say "lots of red wine and IPA!" That's a joke, but I do have a few less-orthodox tips. I write about them in my +Relationship-glue-recipe series. Today's tip is to learn how to read between the lines, to interpret what's said and sometimes, what's not.

Example: my husband has to work all weekend--third shift--at least 13 days in a row. I invited my daughter for dinner but she had plans. I asked my son, but he was tired and irritable. I could have called a friend. But that's kind of awkward. And it would have felt like I was kicking my husband to the curb (I'm a worrier empath, can you tell?) Most of them would be busy, anyway and I would feel silly asking. Plus, our busy, odd schedule doesn't allow time to cultivate friendships. Read onRelationship Glue Recipe Read Between the Lines
 

Followers