'When I Am Old, I Shall Wear Purple" Good Warning Poem Not to Take People for Granted

April is National Poetry Month. Common poem themes are love and relationships. I like the more sideways views, like that of poet Jenny Joseph. Born in 1932 in working-class Birmingham England, her most famous poem is whimsical ode entitled Warning which begins with the famous line "when I am  old, I shall wear purple." The Red Hat Society, comprised of older ladies who scorn convention uses this poem for its mantra. This poem speaks to me on a much deeper level than clothing. It says that those of us who have always followed convention, may not always do so. When we discover our identity and self-worth outside of doing what's expected, we may do so very unexpected things. Read on  National Poetry Month: 'When I Am Old, I Shall Wear Purple...' 

Followers